What causes cystic pimple or acne? Get insights on the causes, symptoms and ways on how to get rid of it.
When one riches a pubic stage it is not a surprise you will find yourself with a pimple or two. When the pimple itself appear to be large, red and painful breakout that is deep in the skin, then you have a cystic pimple. These kind of pimples can go away by treatment or on their own. They can stay even for years affecting large part of your skin leaving scars behind if you won’t do something about them.
What is a Cystic Acne?
A pimple occurs on your skin when a pore is cogged/blocked with excess oil or dead skin cells. When this happen, bacteria finds its way in and causes an infection causing the area to be painful, red and swollen.
A cystic pimple then develops when the infection has gone in the skin, creating a red, tender pump that is filled with pus [a sign of infection]. The area normally painful with itching sensation. Avoid disturbing the cyst by pressing or popping it before it is ready, as it can cause infection to spread to other areas causing more infections.
People who are at risk of cystic acne
Any person can develop a cystic pimple regardless of age as it depends on what caused it. Those ones who are at more risk are the teens and those who are slightly below or above the teen age. This is because at this age bracket there is much hormonal reactions in the body that trigger production of much oil.
Acnes form on face, chest, upper back, upper arms, and shoulders. In severe cases, cystic acne is more in men, but women can get it too on lower occasions on the lower half of the face.
There are several causes of cystic acne, but the major one is hormones called androgens. These is more common in teenagers since the level of androgens increases at that age. In women, hormonal change occur due to menstrual cycle, pregnancy, menopause, or a condition known as polycystic ovary syndrome.
How to treat it
Cystic pimple can be treated by over the counter medicines that are most effective on them. If they are not effective, visit a dermatologist who may recommend the following:
- Oral antibiotics that help to control bacteria and lower inflammation. Sometimes the antibiotics may not work on you acne or it may take long to respond to medicine.
- In women, birth control pills may help in the hormone regulation.
- You can use prescribed creams, lotions, or gels with retinoid that contains vitamin A elements to open your pores making them exposed to the antibiotics treatment you want to administer.
- Use prescribed pills that can clear all attacks that causes acne on your skin completely and permanently. If the acne recurs you can repeat the treatment until it responds.
- Excess water in the skin can also be reduced by spironolactone medicine which also works as a hormone blocker.
- Avoid touching the cystic acne or prickle it as it may push the infection deeper and into more areas.
- Try to relax and avoid stress as they may increase hormonal reaction in the body causing more cystic pimples.
- Live a healthy life by getting enough sleep, and working out. Limit sugar input in the body and foods that are greasy to reduce fats in the body.
Cystic Pimple Causes
When your pores on the skin become blocked with excess oil, leading to infection and inflammation thereafter, you have a cystic pimple. This is a skin condition that affect the face, shoulders, upper back, upper arms and even the chest.
Sebaceous glands produce sebum that is used to protect the hair follicles and skin, but when produced in plenty, sebum cause the pores to become clogged. When mixed with dead skin cells and an infection thereafter from bacteria, it may results to severe bumps called cystic acne.
Acne are most common to people in adolescents stage with an estimated 80% of people with the age between 11 to 30 years being affected at a given point in their lives.
Causes of cystic acne
The main known cause of acne is blockage of the skin pores due to overproduction of sebum, dead skin cells, in combination with inflammation triggered by the bacterium.
The major factor that cause all this problem is hormonal changes in the body system. For example, when someone is in pubic stage, levels of circulating androgen hormones increase drastically leading to increased sebum production and greater proliferation of the skin cells. However, not only teenagers encounter the problem of cystic acne, other causes are:
- Some cystic acne are hereditary – the genes associated with bumps on the body are inherited down the family line.
- Hormonal changes – one may have increased hormonal reactions when in pubic stage, menstrual cycle, pregnancy and during birth.
- Use of greasy or oily cosmetics, cleansers, lotions, and clothing.
- Much sweating and high level of humidity.
- Use of some drugs and chemicals may worsen or result to eruption and spread of cystic pimples.
- Much eating of greasy foods – when you get used to eating foods that have a lot of fats, you increase the level of oil in the body which is disposed on your skin lining.
Symptoms of cystic acne
Cystic acne is more visible since it is the severe form that produces cysts and nodules in addition to numerous inflammatory papules and pustules.
Acnes are associated with itching and scarring
All acnes affect the mood and self-esteem of the person who is suffering from them. The case is more serious on cystic pimple because it has a greater impact on the appearance on the face and the large appearance affect the young adults who always are socially sensitive.
Tests and diagnosis of cystic acne
Acnes are diagnosed by observing them- the dermatologist just need to examine the situation to differentiate acne from other kind of bumps.
It is very important to know the history of the infection as you may be asked to confirm the real cause of the acne as some drugs may have side effects like cystic pimple formation on the skin.
The doctor may asses the psychological impact on severe acne and offer counseling to the affected person.
A cystic acne is diagnosed when five or more cysts are visible in addition to over 100 comedones on the skin.
Treatment and prevention
Only a qualified doctor can help on the treatment of severe cystic acne and offer self-care measures. You can use prescribed drugs that can help on the prevention of more infection and scarring.
You can use benzoyl peroxide acquired over the counter to treat acne of any severity and can be used by those who have worse cystic acne and awaiting for treatment. Benzoyl peroxide is a common cream that is applied on the skin and it works by killing bacteria, particularly bacterium P acnes and breaking up comedones.
We have two types of benzoyl peroxide – water – based and alcohol based BP. They are both used depending on the skin type of the Person with the acne. Alcohol based has a drying effect, making it the best for persons with oily skin.
You can use the cream at least once or twice a day. You should know that it has side effects the common one being skin irritation and allergies which occur on rare occasions.
Take care of the following:
Carrying out self-care activities to avoid acne from coming your side is important at all time. Do not make your condition worse by;
- Washing the infected cystic pimple more often – Doing it twice a day is enough and make sure you dry off well. Use a mild soap or cleanser and lukewarm water.
- Avoid irritating the area by scrubbing it harshly when washing – also avoid harsh soaps and cleansers or exfoliating agents as they may result to allergies.
- Do not pick or squeeze the pimple as it may deepen the infection and result to spread out.
- You can keep off heavy makeups that are greasy, go for water- based, non- comedogenic formulations, avoid oily creams and lotions and always remove makeups on bed times.
Cystic Pimple that won’t go away
Sometimes you may try all the treatments and home remedies but the cyst won’t go away. It is normal that a cystic pimple may be so stubborn to respond to respond to any kind of treatment applied on it. There are several conditions that may have resulted to this condition. When you find yourself at this level, it is very important that you seek the help of a dermatologist.
Conditions that may lead to stubborn cystic acne
- You may have left the condition to get more serious without attending to the acne until it reached the worse stage,
- Mixing of treatments may worsen the condition of the cystic acne causing it not to respond to any more treatment.
- You may have allergies to some medicine’s contents which instead of healing, they cause more problems.
How to Get Rid of a Cystic Pimple
This kind of pimple is usually infected and getting rid of it may require a lot of care and proffesion. It is important to seek medical advice in the treatment of cystic pimple but there things you can carry on your own.
See a doctor who may examine to identify which kind of a cyst it is. Dermatologists are trained on identifying different kind of bumps and advice the exact treatments effective for them.
Topical creams like benzoyl peroxide may be prescribed relieve the effect of the acne and cab the bacterial infection by killing it.
How to Pop a Cystic Pimple
The more carelessly you pop and squeeze cystic acnes on your skin, the longer they stay on your skin. In most cases leave the acne alone as it may erupt on its own to let the content out and try off and heal. On the other case you can use the right channel of popping it up.
Although it is more important to seek medical advice and treatment, you can try this on your own.
When the acne is white yellowish at the tip, use a needle to prick the tip carefully.
Use tweezers to squeeze the content out of the skin avoiding it not to spread to other areas of the skin. Make sure all the content is out and wipe it gently with a cotton wool.
Wash the wound with warm salty water or anti-bacterial wash and apply antibiotic to prevent more infection.
When the condition worsens, visit a dermatologist for medical help.
Cystic Pimple Home Remedy
A cystic acne is one most severe form of acne that feels like soft, fluid-filled bumps on the surface of the skin. They appear as large, red breakouts that are very painful and can cause drastic skin damage, leading to development of scars afterwards. The places they mostly appear on your body are face, back, upper arms, chest, and shoulders.
Treating this cystic pimple on your skin may require maintaining a healthy skin care routine with a healthy lifestyle. There are also simple home remedies that can help in treating and reducing inflammation and even fight the infection.
The helpful home remedies include:
The turmeric spice contain curcumin, an anti-inflammatory compound that naturally relieves inflammation as well as pain. Turmeric can also act as a natural antiseptic to fight infection on the skin.
Add a little water or unrefined sesame oil to 1 to 2 teaspoonful of turmeric powder.
Apply the resulting paste on the affected area an leave it to dry off for about one hour before washing it away.
You can as well treat the problem from within by adding a half teaspoonful of turmeric powder to a glass of warm milk and drink it twice a day.
Apple cider vinegar
It is an astringent that helps in the removal of excess oil to cure acne and it is greatly used as a great home remedy. It also reduce pain and inflammation of the cystic pimple. Apple cider vinegar can as well help in cleansing the skin and balancing of the skin pH level.
Mix an equal amount of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and water.
Dip a cotton ball in the solution and apply it on the affected area,
Let it to stay there for about 15 minutes and then rinse the place with clean water. Do this at least twice a day for about a week,
You can as well add a tea spoonful of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and a little raw honey to a glass of warm water, and drink twice every day. This will help in the prevention of acne and other related skin problems from appearing.
To cab or reduce the appearance of age spots, pimple scars by leaving a dab of diluted apple cider vinegar on them for overnight.
Tea tree oil
This is another common home treatment for your skin like cystic pimple. Tee tree oil penetrates easily in the skin to help in the unblocking of sebaceous glands, disinfect pores and dry out the acne.
Put a drop or 2 of tea tree oil on a cotton wool and dab it on the affected area,
Let the liquid dry off on the affected area for some time. [If you have a sensitive skin it is better to dilute the tea tree oil before use.]
As well, you can mix 4 or 5 drops of tea tree oil in 1 teaspoonful of raw organic honey. Apply the sap directly on the affected area and allow it to stay for about 15 minutes and clean it off with water.
Note: you can perform a skin patch first before using tea tree oil as you may be allergic to it without knowing.
It has antiseptic and anti- inflammatory properties that help to pull out the excess oil from clogged pores as well as exfoliating dead skin cells. It can also balance the pH level of your skin to leave it healthy and glowing.
Mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda with enough cucumber juice to make a thin paste. If you do not have cucumber you can just use plain water.
Apply the solution on the affected area.
Allow it to stay for a couple of minutes and rinse it off with water,
Do it twice a week.
This is a type of clay that can help get rid of excess oil and dead skin cells to give way to a clean and smooth skin. Can also eliminate scars.
Make a paste out of the clay with water and add few drops of honey. Apply it on the affected area. Allow it to dry off and wash afterwards. Do this twice a week.
Cystic Pimple Vicks Treatment
If you have a cystic acne that you have tried many things without it getting healed, you can try a Vicks vaporub as it can give you a relief. Vicks vaporub works in a way that, it swells the pimples and provides relaxation if it regularly applied for one week.
It works on all types of acne, even those painful cystic pimples you can use it as a home remedy. It also works on red spots and blemishes as well.
How to apply Vicks vaporub on cystic acne
- You need to have the Vicks vaporub cream and a cotton,
- Dip the cotton in the jar containing the cream and scoop a given amount enough for the affected area,
- Smear the ointment on the affected area
- Repeat the process at least twice a day for some few days.
Cystic Ingrown Hair turns to Pimple
An ingrown hair can turn into a cyst when infected. Many people don’t know this. An ingrown hair is the curling of hair backward into the skin and cause a small swelling like a pimple called hair cyst. This mostly affect areas that are frequently shaved.
It is very important to get rid of an ingrown hair before it is infected since it becomes very painful and tender, filled with pus when infected.
Infected Ingrown Hair Cyst
It is as a result of having ingrown hair that fail to come out of the skin due to bacterial infection. The hair will remain in the skin for long causing hard bump that appear as a cystic pimple.
How to get rid of the ingrown hair cyst
- use warm water to clean the affected area with disinfectants
- exfoliate the affected area to remove dead skin cells and open the area for treatment
- Using warm water, apply a warm compress to the part to reduce the swelling.
- Remove the ingrown hair from the cyst with the help of tweezers and a needle.
- Drain out the fluid from the infected ingrown hair, this can reduce irritation and allow it to heal.
Treatment of Ingrown Hair Cyst
When the ingrown hair is infected it is very important to apply medication. The bump may appear very stubborn with a lot of pain give you trouble and anxiety, at this moment a physician will be more help to you. Common medical treatment include:
- Use of steroid creams that usually reduce inflammation and irritation on the skin part having the cystic acne. They have a soothing effect on the troublesome cyst and reduce the irritation.
- Take antibiotic drugs as prescribed by a physician to ease or get rid of the infection completely. Oral antibiotics may be prescribed when your case is serious by a doctor to cure the infection.
- You can be given anti- bacterial injections to cure inflammation on the skin when the ingrown hair cyst is infected with bacteria. Use the injection when the bumps are tender and pus filled.
- Apply anti acne ointment which has salicylic or glycolic acid which helps in the treatment of cyst from acne. The acid helps in the exfoliation of the skin and prevent ingrown hairs by keeping the pores open.
- Use of shaving cream has two ingredients that moisturizes the skin.
Cystic Pimple Pictures
Cystic acnes can be so annoying especially when they appear in the face. Every one want to look good without spots especially those young adults who are socially vibrant.
You are in this situation where an acne cause you trouble and discomfort, here are some of the pictures and videos that enable you identify your situation and how to treat it. If you are worsely affected it is important to seek medical advice.
- Cystic acne: what is it and how do you treat it: />
- Home remedies for cystic acne:
- Vicks vaporub can treat acne overnight: />
- Ingrown hair cyst /: